Alabama Theme Park Looking To Bring Fun To The Gulf Coast Just In Time For Summer
If you’re looking for thrills, this new Gulf Coast theme park may be your ticket.
The Owa theme park—located about 45 minutes southeast of Mobile—is coming to the Alabama Gulf Coast and aims to fill the void left by the destruction of Six Flags New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina over 10 years ago.
The 14-acre property will feature 20 rides and is already being touted as the biggest amusement park in Alabama and the only option for people seeking thrills in the four-state area.
The $500 million complex hopes to attract residents from Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi as a cheaper option to Orlando’s Disney World and Universal Studios and an alternative to options like Dixie Landin’ in Baton Rouge, LA.
The rides include a clone of the Thunderbolt featured at New York’s Coney Island.
The 125-foot-tall looping steel coaster will feature a 110-foot vertical lift and four inversions, including a dive loop, a corkscrew and a heart-line roll.
The entire collection of rides looks like it will offer fun for the whole family.
- Disk’O half-pipe ride;
- Air Race airplane ride, which simulates an acrobatic air show;
- Discovery pendulum swing, with outward-facing seats and a rotating gondola;
- Enterprise-style ride attached to a tilting arm with swinging gondola seats
- a 125-foot tall swing tower.
More family-oriented rides include:
- 40-foot-tall hot air balloon tower ride;
- Wave Swing carousel;
- Rockin’ Tug half-pipe ride;
- Kiddie drop tower;
- Autopia-style big-rig truck driving course; and
- 5 Dumbo-style spinning flat rides (Aerozoom, Magic Bikes, Flying Tigers, Jump Around and Mini Jet).
In addition to the amusement park the complex will offer shopping, hotel lodging and a youth sports complex. According to the LA Times, a water park, condominiums and an RV park is also in the works for future expansion.
For beachgoers, the Owa (“big water” in tribal language) amusement park is about 10 miles from the gulf in Foley, AL and will reportedly be opening sometime during May 2017 just in time for the summer.
For more information, check out the official Owa website here.
Subscribe to Gator 99.5 on