Country music star and Kaplan, Louisiana native Sammy Kershaw's home caught on fire tonight in Lafayette.

Media Contact for Sammy Kershaw released the information stating that his home sustained heavy smoke damage after a fire broke out in his kitchen.

Kershaw inadvertently started the fire when he grabbed cans of homemade spices he was delivering to a friend.  The box containing the spices slid over the kitchen stove, catching the knobs that ignite the burners.  Kershaw says there were likely flammable items on the stovetop that caught fire.

After leaving his home, his alarm company alerted him of the blaze.  Kershaw immediately returned home and threw towels onto the stovetop to help smother the flames. Shortly after, firefighters arrived at the scene to extinguish the blaze.

"You've got to count your blessings... every one of them," says Kershaw.  "This could have been so much worse.  The guardian angel that God assigned to me is always working overtime."

Source:

Absolute Publicity

Don Murry Grubbs

 

Sammy Kershaw (Getty images)

No one was injured in the blaze.  We are glad that Sammy and his home and family are ok.