Lake Charles Transportation Dept Helping Evacuate Area Residents
With the mandatory evacuation in place for Calcasieu Parish, some area residents are finding it hard to evacuate due to not being able to afford to leave or not having anywhere to go. The Lake Charles Transportation Department is helping with that need by offering to transport any resident to the evacuation area in Lake Charles for free.
All city buses in Lake Charles will be transporting evacuees to the Burton Coliseum. If you need to evacuate and need transportation, all you need to do is go to a bus stop around Lake Charles and a bus will pick you up. After being picked up, you will be transported to the Burton Coliseum, where you will be checked in and instructed where to go next. The state is providing buses to transport evacuees to sites outside of the risk area.
If you wish to evacuate and have your own transportation but nowhere to go, you can drive over to Burton and jump on one of the buses. If you are outside of the Lake Charles area but need to evacuate you can go to one of the following pick-up locations until 8:00pm tonight, August 25. (For more information, visit the Calcasieu Parish emergency information page for Hurricane Laura.)
- Bell City - Fire Station at 8141 Galley Road
- DeQuincy - Southeast corner at Highway 27 and Highway 12
- Carlyss - Stine Parking Lot at Highway 27 South
- Iowa - High School Stadium Parking Lot
- Moss Bluff - Tractor Supply at 181 HWY 171
- Starks - VFW at Highway 12
- Sulphur - Kroger Parking Lot at Beglis Parkway
- Vinton - Truck Stop at 2nd Exit
- Westlake - Recreation Center at Sampson Street
If you are unable to make it to a bus stop or transport yourself to the shelter evacuation location, you can call 211 and arrange other transportation. The parish is still working out where all of the evacuation sites will be across the state, but will update the information on their website as more info is made clear.