Threat Of Flooding Rains From Tropical Storm Nicholas In Southwest Louisiana — Sand Bag Locations
Tropical Storm Nicholas is churning in the Gulf of Mexico and looks like it will be making landfall along the Texas coast late Monday night into Tuesday morning.
Right now, all the experts are saying that for us here in Southwest Louisiana, Nicholas will be a heavy rain event. Certain parts of our area are forecasted to get four to eight inches of rain between Monday evening and Wednesday night. Some areas could even get higher amounts.
With that being said, some locations in Southwest Louisiana are really low and are prone to flood really easily. Heck, we saw that in the city of Lake Charles just a few months ago when we had downpours dropping several inches of rain that flooded most of the city.
The best thing to do is to be prepared. The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury has announced several locations where residents can go get sandbags for their property or business.
There are several locations all over Calcasieu Parish and Tom Hoefer with the Police Jury said,
While the sand and bags are provided, residents must bring their own shovels and fill their own bags. These facilities are not staffed with personnel.
Sandbags are available 24 hours a day, seven days week, but only during the threat of severe weather warnings. Sites will be restocked mornings and evenings.
Here are all the locations to get sandbags in Calcasieu Parish:
- · Ward 1 Barn - 461 Parish Road, Moss Bluff
- · Ward 2 Barn – 7085 La. 14 East, Hayes
- · Ward 3 Old Barn - 2320 Smith Road, Lake Charles
- · Ward 3 Barn- Swift Plant Road, Lake Charles
- · Old Kroger building- the intersection of Beglis Parkway and Napoleon Street, Sulphur
- · Ward 5 Barn – 129 Third St., Starks
- · Ward 6 Barn – 1275 Plum St., DeQuincy
- · Ward 8 Barn – 1726 Parish Barn Road, Iowa
Please stay safe and keep in tune right here and your local television stations for the latest on Tropical Storm Nicholas.